who IS she?



Pronouns: she, her 

BIO

Brett Gui Xin (b.1991) is an artist based in Brooklyn, New York. She studied fashion and textile design, attending Central Saint Martins and holds a BFA from Parsons The New School for Design. Her current work explores different applications of commonly found materials like plastic and paper. Amassing large collections of waste materials, she repurposes them into woven sculptures, experimenting with heat treatment, traditional weaving technique, and mechanized making. Recent credits include her solo show, Don’t Eat This, at Takumen Noodle & Izakaya, Long Island City, NY, and group shows including Dark Matter, at Yorkshire Art Space, Sheffield, UK, and International Space Station, at MOMA PS1.


CV

EDUCATION

Parsons The New School for Design, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Fashion Design, 2013.

Central Saint Martins, University of Arts London BFA course work, Print & Textile Design, Spring 2012.


EXHIBITIONS

Solo
Don’t Eat This, Takumen Izakaya, Long Island City, NY, February-March 2020

See Her Sway, The Vestibule Gallery, NYC, April 2018

Group

Artists’ Tools, Special Special, NYC, March-May 2020

ART, WORK, Atelier Canal, Brooklyn, NY, February 2020

Freestanding, 180 Franklin, Brooklyn, NY, October-November 2019

Galleria Rossana Orlandi Porto Cervo, Italy, July 2019

Ro Plastic Prize, Galleria Rossana Orlandi Milano, Italy, April 2019 

The Waiting Room, Miles Pflanz Space, NYC, January 2019

International Space Station, MOMA PS1, December 2018

In House, Jane Hartsook Gallery, NYC, November 2018

Infinite Zest, As Of Now, Brooklyn, November 2018

Fluid Space, Demi Monde, Brooklyn, September 2018

Dark Matter, Yorkshire Art Space, Sheffield, UK, July 2018

Dark Matter (sotto voce), Sheffield Institute of Art, Sheffield, UK, July 2018

NYC Quilts!, New York Public Library Hudson Park, NYC, June 2018

Member’s Show, Jane Hartsook Gallery, NYC, April 2018

The Flat Show, New York Public Library Hudson Park, NYC, February 2018 (curator & contributing artist)

Made In Clay, Greenwich House Pottery, NYC, November 2017

Performance Night, Folly Tree Arboretum, East Hampton, New York, August 2017

Crafting Resistance III: September 17, BKLYN Clay, Brooklyn, NY, 2017

Crafting Resistance II: June 25, Spoke Art Gallery, NYC, 2017

Crafting Resistance I: April 2, Greenwich House Pottery, NYC, 2017

Those Who Make, Jane Hartsook Gallery, NYC, 2017

Made In Clay, Greenwich House Pottery, NYC, 2016


AWARDS

Ro Plastic Prize, Finalist - Home Textiles, Milan, Italy 2019

Landcloud Residency, Vinalhaven, ME, August 2018


EXPERIENCE

ART, WORK, Retail Pop-Up Shop, 2020

Best friends and studio partners Harrison Bradt and Brett Gui Xin opened a pop-up shop for the month of February 2020, on Third Ave in Gowanus, Brooklyn in efforts to support our local community of makers, designers, and artists. We are two Parsons alumni who have a vast network of creative friends of whom we have curated a selection of their work to showcase and sell. We are donating 10% of proceeds to the Museum of Chinese in America fire relief fund and the other 90% of proceeds go straight to the artist. We started with a group of 10 artists featuring all handmade fashion, ceramics, textiles, home products, illustrations, and prints. We have now expanded to about 20 local artists, some of which we have met in the community in the last week while running the shop.

Crafting Resistance, Movement Co-Founder, 2017

A community organized group founded with Jenni Lukasiewicz. Our mission was to raise money for charity organizations who uphold the values of the American constitution through the sale of ceramic artworks. Hosting events at Greenwich House Pottery, Spoke Art Gallery and BKLYN Clay. We raised $38,000 for the ACLU, Lambda Legal, Grow NYC and the NRDC. 100% of proceeds were donated to the charities.


Making Our New York City, Podcast Host & Producer, 2015

A long form interview show speaking with creatives about their process and life in New York City.